We acknowledge the indigenous ancestors of this sacred
land. The Attawandaron (Neutral) peoples once settled
this region along side the Haudenosaunee and
The following is a history of the European pioneers who
settled here and were the founders of what has become
Yarmouth Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of
The European pioneer of Yarmouth district was the
Quaker, Jonathan Doan, who came to this are in 1813.
He pitched his tent and lay down on the spot, which is
now the Quaker cemetery and where he is buried.
The land in this area had been granted to the Baby
family and Doan was acting as their land agent. After
two years Doan was so satisfied with the prospects that
he returned to Pennsylvania and brought back with him
several new families including William Harvey, John
Kipp, John Mills and Joseph Albertson.
Doan built the first flourmill in South Yarmouth and
operated the first tannery.
The first Meetinghouse was a little log building on the
corner of Jonathan Doan’s farm. He donated the land for
the use of the Meeting.
In 1821 a small frame Meetinghouse replaced the log
building and, in 1865, a new site was chosen in a
beautiful maple grove north of Sparta and the present
Meetinghouse was erected.